Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:45:27 -0400
From: "Travis Altman" <travisaltman@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: How to determine # users with a shadow file

RB,

Once again thanks for the good advice and pointing me to the proper source
code, I'll definitely take a look at it.

> > That should work, but IMO is rather brittle.  Better to do a regex
> > match like '~ /^\$/', which should continue to work with most
> > UNIX-used hash types.

I tried that initially but I have to count DES hashes as well, DES hashes do
not contain the $ symbol but are 13 characters long, so that's how I came up
with the 13 or 34 awk script.  I assume the 34 would catch all MD5 hashes?