Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:48:12 +0200
From: "Marti Raudsepp" <marti@...fo.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: What type of passwords does john crack?

On 1/25/08, Steve ...... <lynx.9595@...il.com> wrote:
> Ok for some reason its still not working. Mind you these are NOT
> shadow/passwd passwords. (that was the whole reason of this post)
> is john able to crack MD5 passwords encrypted from online forums lets say..
> my result look like this..

Yes the file format is correct, but you have to specify
--format=raw-MD5 (I'm not sure if this is included in the release; you
might need to apply the jumbo patch)

> ThePumpe:b3759125aa3bf99b7f4c10d9c87046c

These hashes are 31 characters long -- MD5 hex strings should be 32
characters. You might need to change the MD5 cracking code to discard
4 of the output bits or something.

Marti