Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:12:07 +0000 (UTC)
From:  helleye <jameskond@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: question about charsets

thanks for your answers

> You're probably referring to what is called the "cracking order" in JtR
> source code comments.  In charset.h:
>
> /*
>  * Cracking order.
>  *
>  * This is a list of current {length, fixed position, character count}.
>  * There are CHARSET_LENGTH different lengths, and fixed position is up
>  * to the current length, which means we have exactly (CHARSET_LENGTH *
>  * (CHARSET_LENGTH + 1) / 2) different {length, fixed position} pairs;
>  * for each such pair we need to try all charsets from 1 character and
>  * up to CHARSET_SIZE characters large.
>  */
> 	unsigned char order
> 		[CHARSET_LENGTH * (CHARSET_LENGTH + 1) / 2 * CHARSET_SIZE * 3];
>
> As usual, the best answer to your question is the source code - just
> check out the uses of this order[] array in charset.c and inc.c.  Also
> relevant is this older posting:
>
> 	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2007/11/13/4

yep exactly
but tried today to read more in the source , not sure yet how this
info is used / gathered. can you give an example please on how it use
length + fixed pos + char count ?
i guess that if i understand the example i would be able to calc the
statisticts easier also

thanks in advance
helleye