Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:08:18 +0200
From: "Frank Dittrich" <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Incremental mode limited to 8 character words?

websiteaccess wrote:
>On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:22:31 +0100, Tom Earp wrote:
> > I have attempted this with no success...there is a comment in the
> > params.h file:
> > "be careful if you change these, ((SIZE ** LENGTH) * SCALE) should
> > fit into 64 bits. you can reduce SCALE if required"
> >
> > what does that actually mean? i would like to be able to generate
> > words between 8 and 30 characters in length
> >
> > any help would be much appreciated

There are threads in the mailing list archive, e.g.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.openwall.john.user/1158/
But it will get increasingly difficult to crack a password using
incremental mode and a length > 8.

>  JTR is great but have some limitations (for example lentgh limit).
>
>  TRy "PasswordsPro" it's another great password cracker with no length
>limitation and a nice and usefull GUI !

JtR has a very useful incremental mode which generates password
candidates in a sequence that more likely passwords will be
cracked first.

IMO, you can't compare PasswordPro's incremental mode with
this strategy:
http://www.insidepro.com/doc/003e.shtml

That will take a long time to go until you reach the limit of
length 32, but I doubt that
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
is a useful sequence to try, even if it *might* have advantages
when compared to.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC
Did you really crack a password longer than 8 characters using
PasswordPro's incremental mode?

But if you insist, you can easily implement an external mode
for JtR which does this for you.

Frank