Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:06:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Q about "MaxLen" of incremental mode

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 12:23:42PM +0800, yl_changjiu wrote:
> i added a section like this in john.ini
> [Incremental:Alnum_own01]
> File = $JOHN/alnum.chr
> MinLen = 5
> MaxLen = 12
> CharCount = 36
> when i try to run john under Alnum_own01, I got this message "Warning: MaxLen = 12 is too large for the current hash type, reduced to 8"
> my hashes are like "I/2n0CZPaSkTI", "LHMfqiZfvP.eo" and so on. i just think MaxLen=8 is not enough for my hashes.

You're wrong about that.  "MaxLen = 8" is enough since these hashes
truncate passwords at 8 characters.  Of the two hashes above, the first
one gets cracked instantly and the other takes under 15 minutes to crack
on a modern system with John's default settings (no command line
options).  You similarly did not need to increase MinLen or to restrict
John to alphanumeric characters.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15