Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 22:09:54 +0000 (UTC)
From:  -.-PhanTom-.- <phantom_otw@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: Potfile size limitation?

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:

> I suggested that you start a debugging build of John the Ripper under
> the GNU debugger - gdb - which is a part of Cygwin (or you can do it on
> non-Windows).  Maybe this is too complicated for you.

I am gonna need a little more help to get this working...
I installed gdb under cygwin, and added "-g" to the flags in the JTR
makefile:

CFLAGS = -c -Wall -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -g
ASFLAGS = -c
LDFLAGS = -g

Now what?..

"while running under gdb, then type "bt", "i r", "disass $pc-20 $pc+20"
 in gdb (and post the output of these commands in here"

(gdb) bt
No stack.
(gdb) i r
The program has no registers now.
(gdb) disass $pc-20 $pc+20
No registers.
(gdb)

Doesn't look right...?

Maybe you could try to create a "fake" potfile at aprox 500MB and see
if the problem also exists under Unix or if it's "just" some windows
or 32bit overflow thing?
Btw, a friend tested versions 1.6.31 - 1.6.37 - same error.

Tried to compile 1.7.2 under ubuntu-7.04-desktop-amd64 - can't get
it to compile, not even using "generic"....

Regards