Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 20:05:46 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Need help appying a patch to john 1.7.2

On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 11:52:20AM -0400, Gavin Westermann wrote:
> I started out using "gzip -dc" but still stall at the same spot. Your
> out put above just seems to flow and find the files it wants all by
> itself, mine stops and waits for me to direct it. Could it be an issue
> with my system not knowing how to find the files?

The most likely cause is you not running "patch" from the right
directory and/or not passing the right "-p..." option.  Your actions as
described in your first posting to the list were obviously wrong, and
you've never since provided the specific shell commands (all of them,
starting with extracting the tarball) that you try to use now.  From the
command line that you did post, it is not clear what directory you're
running "patch" from.

> How would I set the
> variable $JOHN so the sytem knows the path? In john.conf for example
> "MODES" are set to find the .chr files through a path. ie: File =
> $JOHN/all.chr I have never set that so maybe the patch is failing becuse
> of that?

No, that's completely irrelevant.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar