Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:29:10 -0500
From: RB <aoz.syn@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: running in the background and on SMP

On 3/10/07, Dexter Genius <dexter@...t3r01.tk> wrote:
> john doesn't have built-in support for lunching in background ( and staying
> there when terminal is closed )

John is designed far more as an interactive program and not a daemon,
as you would suggest.  It was initially designed and developed in an
operating system (Linux) that has fantastic and multiple facilities
for putting any kind of job into background processing (screen being
my favorite of the bunch).  All that to say: John has never needed any
direct support for such facilities, and although forking into the
background would be trivial and mildly useful, the code to re-join or
alert would be rather non-trivial and everyone would want something
different.  I, for one, would rather have Solar et. al. focus their
[unpaid] coding skills on speed improvements and eventual SMP - it
would be trivial for most users to write a wrapper script around John
and make it fork/alert/whatever consistently.

That brings up SMP - I agree with you and the dozens who have said it
would be a fantastic addition, but given the nature of the specific
problem John addresses, parallel  processing becomes very ugly and not
easily addressed.  I have had some decent luck with the MPLS version
of John when I just *had* to go brute-force, but it is neither
fantastically quick or optimal.  One of these days when we least
expect it, Solar will unleash his mad coding f00 on the world with a
properly-done SMP implementation, and the world of non-blowfish
passwords will quake in their boots.  :-D