Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 15:00:58 +0100
From: Antares <antares@....ch>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: LM an NTLM combination

Hello

I am quite new to John and already read FAQ and Documentation.
My situation is this:

I used pwdump6 on our W2k3 Domain using my proper Domain Admin
credentials. I got a file with both, the LM and the NTLM (MD4) hashes.

Using john-mmx on a XP client lead to incredible fast decryption of the
case insensitive version of the password. ( I was not aware that W2k3
server still stores the poor LM hashes, but thanks to John, I am aware
of the risk and found a way to change this behavior for future passwords.)

I also patched an 1.7.2+ version with "Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 NTLM
(MD4) hash support for 1.7.2+, by Alain Espinosa", and compiled it on my
linux box.

My Question is, how can I make the best use of the already known LM
passwords. Do I need to make a wordlist out of the pot file on the
windows box and specify special rules in order to try only "case
combinations"?

Or would john take into account (or disregard completely) available LM
passwords in a pot file, if invoked with --format=NT ?

Or is maybe my expectation wrong, that it is less time consuming to
first crack the LM hashes and then use this input to crack the NTLM
hashes, instead of starting directly on the NTLM hashes?

Thank you and kind regards
antares