Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:38:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Lemire <good_bye300@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: johns running for two weeks

    I sent an email to john-users-help@...ts.openwall.com, and I did not get a reply about administrative commands. I am using john with this command, nice -n -20 john -restore, and it has been running for over two weeks total on a X2 AMD 64 3800+ machine. I am only trying to crack one Linux password. I used unshadow to get a password file john could use. When I hit enter, john tells me some things though I do not know what it all means except for the amount of time john has been running. Most of the passwords in the past have had numbers at the end of them and I believe the password is longer than what john is trying. I am not sure, but I think john has went into incremental mode where it should continue to run without stopping and keep trying bigger and bigger passwords after it has tried all the possible combinations for smaller passwords, but that does not seem to be what it is doing. It tried several passwords that were the same length. After a while, it tried some
 that were all the same length but a character longer. After some more time it went back to trying short passwords again. I do not understand how john is working.

chris@...ntu:~/RIPPER$ sudo nice -n -20 john -restore
Loaded 1 password (FreeBSD MD5 [32/32])
guesses: 0  time: 14:19:35:02 (3)  c/s: 6219  trying: s17ckom
guesses: 0  time: 14:19:35:22 (3)  c/s: 6219  trying: tmjygkh
guesses: 0  time: 14:19:35:23 (3)  c/s: 6219  trying: SToygkh
guesses: 0  time: 14:19:35:25 (3)  c/s: 6219  trying: hooLt.f

  Even after two weeks of running on a 2 ghz dual core processor, it is till trying many short passwords and has not guessed the correct password yet. I do not understand why it goes to longer passwords and then back to shorter ones again. I thought that it would be trying all the passwords in some kind of order, so the same password would not be tried twice, and that after trying all the passwords of a certain length, it would try longer passwords, but not try shorter ones again. Is it better to use a rainbow crack for Linux passwords? I have not figured out how to do that yet. What does this mean? "(3)  c/s: 6219"