Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:34:44 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: how to find a password of 16 digits

Randy,

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 07:30:52PM -0600, Randy B wrote:
> you are certain the key is 16 digits and numeric only.  The Xeon 5160
> I have could comfortably generate that search space in <5 days - while
> compute power may be a limiting factor, more limiting may be the
> method you're using to check each key.  What are you using?  Keep in
> mind, not sure anyone's said it, but 16^10 turns into roughly a
> terabyte of data.  This is definitely doable with modern top-end
> hardware, but just so.

It's 10 to the 16th power, not vice versa.  You definitely can't even
generate all of those candidate passwords on your Dual Xeon 5160 in 5
days, let alone test them.  And I did say that it's 170 or 180 petabytes
of data, not just "roughly a terabyte".

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15