Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:17:48 -0700
From: "The Rogue Fugu" <roguefugu@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com, michaelkintzios@...il.com
Subject: Re: Is the passwd in upper or lower case ?

You are probably cracking a LM hash, which is case insensitive. See
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM_hash" to see how it works.
Basically, the password is uppercased, split in two parts of 7-bytes
each. Each part is used as a DES key to encrypt the text "KGS!@#$%".
The results of the encryption is the hash. The reason why you see two
hashes is because john splits the hash in two, and cracks each half
separately.

P.S. Next time, please post the actual hashes too.

--
Hi, I'm a .signature virus! Copy me to your .signature file and help
me propagate, thanks!