Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:28:02 -0400
From: Brian Cuttler <brian@...sworth.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John, word list question

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:03:36PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Brian -
>
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:10:28AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> > I have downloaded the new all.lst and it does seem to preserve the
> > (erronious) entries that are prefixed with numerics
> >
> > 1 AAD
> > 1 AADEL
> > 1 AADLAND

Just for reference, I find the odd entries in a file named "names.hp.gz"
which dates to 2001 (apparently when we downloaded it), as you said the
release of John we are running is 8 years old, there is no reason to
believe our password files are much newer. No idea either how this file
came to have the contents it does.

I combined our "good" files with the "all" file, we now have a superset
and will pick it up at the next start of job for John at our site.

Our pwdlist file was apparently built from these files (the "bad"
file having been renamed by my just this afternoon).

ASSurnames.gz           actor-surname.gz        male-names.gz
Acr-diagnosis.gz        asteroids.Z             movie-characters.gz
Algae.gz                biology.Z               names.french.gz
Bacteria.gz             chinese.Z               names.hp.gz-bad
Congress.gz             cis-givenname.gz        norse.Z
Family-Names.gz         cis-surname.gz          other-names.gz
Fungi.gz                crl-names.gz            oz.Z
Given-Names.gz          deutsch.dic.Z           shakesp-glossary.gz
Koran.Z                 dico.Z                  shakesp-names.gz
Microalgae.gz           dictw.txt               surnames-ol.gz
Movies.Z                dictws.txt              surnames.finnish.gz
Python.Z                famous.gz               tech.gz
README                  fast-names.gz           usenet-names.gz
Roget.words.gz          female-names-kantr.gz   words-english.gz
Trek.Z                  female-names.gz         words.german.Z
Unabr.dict.gz           germanl.Z               words.italian.Z
Unix.dict.gz            givennames-ol.gz        words.japanese.Z
Viruses.gz              hindu-names.Z           words.spanish.Z
World.factbook.Z        kjbible.Z
actor-givenname.gz      male-names-kantr.gz