Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 05:53:47 +0000 (UTC)
From:  -.-PhanTom-.- <phantom_otw@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject:  Re: JTR and os X macintel

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:

> Dear Phantom -
>
> Not providing any context is almost as bad as providing too much or
> irrelevant context.  Please do include a few lines of relevant context
> on your postings, except when you're starting a new topic.

Sorry for this, guess it is because I "use" this mailing list more as a message
board, rather than an email list, I have actually never gotten any emails....
I just use http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.openwall.john.user where
the style is more board-like, hence the need for qouting the previous message
when replying is not that neccessary to understannd the answer.
But I will try to remember that this is indeed intended to be an email list.

> Speaking of the benchmark results posted by "websiteaccess":
>
> Benchmarking: Traditional DES [128/128 BS SSE2]... DONE
> Many salts:	1841K c/s real, 1845K c/s virtual
> Only one salt:	1532K c/s real, 1535K c/s virtual
>
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 07:03:23PM +0000, -. -PhanTom-. - wrote:
> > Nice speeds :)
> >
> > I am curious as to wether they are caused by the CPU alone
> > (default speed I assume...) or also the OS..... Solar?
>
> This excellent performance is due to the CPU alone.

I see... and this is at default speeds... and well overclocked Conroe should
be able to get us above the 2500K c/s mark then.... if only I hadn't just
recently bought AMD64 ;) Oh well, AMD has been known as the king of
Floating Point Operations in the past, they will be again... I guess

> > I was under the impression that the high speeds on Macs were due to the
> > G4 and G5 cpus and that the OS had very little to do with it...?
>
> Correct.

Does this apply to Linux vs Windows as well?
As far as I could tell, latest version of JTR would theoretically yield
higher speeds on linux64 on an AMD64 cpu compared to windows...
However, I did test this and saw no higher speeds on Linux64 compared to
windows32.... could be related to compilation though..not sure...

Regards