Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:54:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Development status

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 10:45:46PM +0200, kraeh wrote:
> since a friend of mine has reached about 1.500.000 c/s

It doesn't make sense to mention c/s rates without providing further
detail.  What hash type?  Is it a --test benchmark or an actual cracking
run?  In the latter case, how many hashes and different salts?  These
things affect the effective c/s rate heavily.

> on one machine at a university, and i think thes dont have a 16GHz P4...

If this applies to the "Traditional DES" / "Many salts" benchmark, which
is arguably the most essential one for JtR, then a rate of 1.6M c/s can
be achieved on a single PowerPC G5 at 2.7 GHz (with AltiVec).  P4 at
around 3 GHz can achieve somewhere up to 1M c/s, too, with the SSE2 code
in JtR 1.7.2+.

> u can guess john is multithreaded =)

No, it is not.  Moreover, I had previously mentioned why multi-threading
is likely not the best way to parallelize John:

	http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2006/04/27/5

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15