Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 23:53:44 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  "Extra" in incremental mode not fully working

Radim,

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 08:35:52AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> Anyway, this should have worked as long as the total number of different
> characters (those coming from the .chr file and those you've added with
> Extra) doesn't exceed CHARSET_SIZE (95 by default).

I was wrong.  JtR does indeed try to use your Extra characters to look
up likely adjacent ones, which results in misbehavior when these
characters are out of range (CHARSET_MIN to CHARSET_MAX).

As you've found out, JtR 1.7.0.1+ correctly detects this problem but
produces an incorrect error message.  I will fix that.

The correct solution for you is to rebuild JtR with the CHARSET_*
settings that I had provided in an earlier posting.  Yes, you'll have to
generate a new .chr file, too.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15