Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:23:34 -0400
From: John <guipenguin@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: encryption strength vs. the time it takes to find the same password with different key sizes

OK, thanks, that makes sense.

Now one more question:  I understand the basic principle behind taking a
dictionary work, or a string that JTR has created, encrypting that string,
and then matching it against an encrypted hash. Using that same encryption
algorithm, if the hashes match then that is your password.

But how does JTR do this with salted hashes?  How does JTR figure out what
salt was used so that it can use this when encrypting the dictionary word
when you are trying to crack?

Thanks a ton.