Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:20:56 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: "john@...e"?

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:24:57PM +0200, Mutante wrote:
> Now i also learned about the existence of DJohn (Distributed John) [5]

You can find my opinion on it mentioned in past discussions on this
mailing list:

	http://search.gmane.org/?query=djohn&group=gmane.comp.security.openwall.john.user

> and it made me wonder about whether it would be possible to use the
> Boinc clients to crack passwords.

Yes, this should be possible and it would be fun.

However, for practical uses of John (to detect weak passwords in
password files that you care about), a special-purpose master/slaves
architecture would be more appropriate.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598