Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:18:45 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Compiling jtr in Ubuntu64?

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 04:53:11AM +0000, Phantom wrote:
> I finally managed to install Ubuntu64 in Vmware on WinXP.
> I compiled jtr - first I tried "make linux-x86-64" ...looked like it compiled
> fine, but I can't run jtr...it won't execute.
> I also tried with "make generic" - same thing, won't execute.

"It won't execute" is a totally non-informative problem report.  You
should have copy&pasted a few lines from your Linux shell session
showing the command you typed (trying to invoke the newly built John)
and the output you received (from which you concluded that it "won't
execute").  May I point you right to the first question/answer on the
FAQ, though? -

	http://www.openwall.com/john/doc/FAQ.shtml

Did it help?  If not, then please report the problem properly as I've
explained above.

> Beeing a total novice on linux, I am wondering if I "forgot" to install
> something to make it possible to execute the john.exe files in Ubuntu64?

The John binary executable on Unix-like systems is called just "john",
not "john.exe".  No, you do not need anything special to execute it.

> Or is the Ubuntu disto not "supported" by jtr in some way?

No, it is "supported" (although it did not require any special support).

> Secondly, while running "make generic", I noticed that it did some benchmarks
> while running... why does it do that? ...Is it to test which code is best suited
> for my CPU and OS?

Yes.  It limits those tests to plain C code, though.  It does not try to
figure out your architecture and pick one of the assembly files.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598