Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:41:36 -0700
From: Andrew <andrew@...rinedesign.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Filtering incremental attemps with known character

I'm trying to recover a lost password in which I know I used a specific
character. I don't know exactly where I placed the character in my
password, but would like to speed up and incremental attempt at recovery
by filtering out generated words which don't contain this character.
I've been going through all of the external filter examples, but haven't
been able to come up with a working filter that can handle this. I've
also seen a filter posted previously, which works great only when the
position of the character is known.

I could use the "Extra" command and add the special character, but I'll
obviously be wasting time generating words that don't even contain the
character.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!