Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:08:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problems with john hanging and failing make

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 03:17:49PM -0500, Charles Duke wrote:
> 1.  The command
>        ./john mypasswd hangs for a long time (more than 24 hours)

That's normal.  You shouldn't expect John (run with no options and a
password file) to terminate within your lifetime - unless all of the
passwords are weak and get cracked.  This issue is addressed in the
following FAQ entry:

Q: I am running John for 10 days and it is still not finished?!
Q: How long should I expect John to run?
A: It primarily depends on the cracking mode(s) and on your password
files ...

The complete answer is a bit lengthy, so I am not copying it in this
response.  Please refer to the FAQ available at this location:

	http://www.openwall.com/john/doc/FAQ.shtml

Can you show us the "Loaded ..." line, though?  Also, try pressing a key
in the terminal window with this running John for status - and show us
the status line.  Maybe there's something to do more optimally, letting
John crack more passwords within a reasonable time.

>        ./john --show mypasswd return is immediate.

This is also normal.  Does it show any cracked passwords, though?  If
not, it should report "0 password hashes cracked ..."

>       System is Linux
>        uname -a :  Linux PAVLX0003.sch.zus.us.zurich.com 2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri
> Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Looks fine.

You should be using a linux-x86-mmx build of John on this system.

> 2.  Downloaded 1.7... on another system and make fails, as in:
>
> Charles Dukeroot on shadzp01:/usr/local/john/src>make clean aix-ppc32
[...]
>         cc -c -qunroll=2 -qarch=ppc -qchars=signed -O2 DES_fmt.c
> cc: 1501-224 fatal error in /usr/vac/exe/xlcentry: signal 11 received

Signal 11 is SIGSEGV - or a "segmentation fault".  Essentially, the
compiler has crashed.

There are several possible causes for this error:

1. Improper setup of the C compiler or a wrong compiler version/build
for your version of AIX.

2. A compiler bug.

3. Faulty hardware.

You can check for the first possibility (improper compiler setup) -
which I find to be the most likely - by trying to compile some other C
program with this compiler on this system.  Chances are that the compile
will also fail.

To get around this, you can either install IBM's xlC compiler properly
or install GCC instead.  To compile John on AIX with GCC, you would use
"make clean generic".

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar