Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 14:55:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Compilation 1.7.0.2 on mac - errors ? -

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 10:31:34AM +0200, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  I have successfully compiled 1.7.0.2 on my PPC G5 (make clean
> generic). When compiled, I have tested JTR 1.7.0.2, works fine but
>  the Eric Wrinler's version is really faster (at least 4 times more
> than mine).

That's because you used "generic" instead of the proper "macosx-..."
target.  For your G5, the proper target is "macosx-ppc32-altivec".

>  You told me : "Just download the sources and compile with "make
> macosx-x86-mmx", this
> will produce a native binary for Mac OS X on x86."
>
> => I am absolutely not programmer ou technical with mac. I apologize in
> advance for my weird questions!
> 1) Can I compile X86 version of JTR on a mac without an Intel processor
> (I compile on my G5 with PPC ship) ?

As you've found out, no.  Maybe there's some support for cross-compiling
on Mac OS X, but I am not aware of it.

You really need to compile John for x86 on your x86 system.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar