Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:17:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new at this cracker business

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:37:21AM +0000, jay rubin wrote:
> how do I stop a session so I can restore it later?

The best way is to press Ctrl-C in the console window.

But even if you happen to interrupt a session in an unclean way (e.g.,
on a power outage), you should still be able to restore it.  That's
because John saves checkpointing information in the .rec file for the
session at regular intervals (by default, every 10 minutes).

> I also finally changed the idle switch to Y.

Great.

Did any noticeable negative impact on your system's performance remain
despite of this setting?  (I am not using Windows myself, which is why I
am asking.  I know that the setting does work on Windows as well, but I
don't know how it "feels" in practice.)

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598