Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:33:33 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SAM on BSD

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:44:40AM -0500, Dennis Olvany wrote:
> Solar Designer wrote:
> >samdump.tar.gz from john/contrib/win32/pwdump/ compiles just fine
>
> Same one I got from gpl.internetconnection.com, eh?

Yes, except that it's gpl.internetconnection.net, not .com.

> Same compile error, too.
> I really have no idea how to go about patching the Makefile.
>
> $ cd samdump
> $ su
> Password:
> You have mail.
> dm# ls
> CHANGELOG       DESCRIPTION     mkntpw.c        pwdump.c
> COPYING         Makefile        ntreg.c         sam.h
> COPYING.GPL     README          ntreg.h
> dm# make
> "Makefile", line 21: Need an operator
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> dm#

You can just delete lines 18 through 21.  But, of course, you should
expect to run into other minor issues like this - and be prepared to
deal with them until the thing compiles.

Also, it is a bad habit to compile stuff as root.  You didn't need to
"su" to compile this, unless you have something installed incorrectly
(bad file permissions).

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar