Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:24:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new at this cracker business

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:19:25AM +0200, thomas springer wrote:
> ok, i always thought about putting up a "jtr for windows-dummys"-site
> on serversniff.net containg
>
> a) a stripped-down john with the mingw-build contributed by Michal

OK.

There's one problem with that build that I didn't mention in here
before: the uses of clock() instead of times() should make it report all
timestamps and c/s rates in virtual (processor) as opposed to real time.
This will make this build appear to perform faster than it really does
and faster than Cygwin builds do.

> b) a stripped-down version cracking only windows-password

What for?  I don't think having support for other hash types hurts.

> c) a step-by-step text on "how do I crack my windows-password.

Good.

> d) a stripped-down ini readable with windows

I'm not sure stripping it down would be of any help.  What would you
omit?  Some external modes?  Almost all of them are of some use even on
Windows.

> e) a hint to the "pro"-version, openwall and this list

There's no "Pro" version yet and it might never become the reality, so
it's too early to speak of that.  But I'd appreciate your linking to the
official JtR resources in general.

Of course, people should be made aware of and able to obtain official
builds and the source code that they can compile for other systems.

> Alexander? - Anything (anybody) speaking against this?

I have no objections - just some comments (see above).

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598