Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 22:06:41 +0000
From: "jay rubin" <cjride@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: new at this cracker business

I decided I wanted to see how secure was my windows password.  Without
getting into too much about all the missteps that I've taken I've finally
downloaded 1.7 + jumbo patch build for Win32 (1664 KB), by thomas springer
and pwdump2.  I ran my SAM file through pwdump2 and then ran john using

john -show -format=LM SAM.txt

the following message was the result

0 password hashes cracked, 7 left  (if I run this with a format of NT I get
the same thing on with 5 left)

I've tried not to waste anyones time by going through the MARC message
archieves but still need some help.  It may be my ini file.  The ini file I
got it is hard to read since the the lines are all strung out while another
ini file from a previous version of john I had downloaded is readable.
Anyway it may not confurged correctly.  Or I don't have pointers to the
correct hash files.

Please respond as if writing for John for Dummies.  I am learning a lot as I
go but this is still all new to me and I hate having to relearn what someone
else might already know.  Thank you all.

Jay