Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:43:40 +0100
From: Turko <granturko@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: checking only first 5 characters of a md5 hash

Hi all. I m new to the list and to John....

My problem is this: I have only the first 5 characters of a md5 hash. Is it
possible telling John to check only them during the crack?
I mean, is correct the idea that checking only the first 5 is better then
all others ? Many keys can be encrypted and having the same first 5
characters so it would be faster then cracking all 16 right?

How can I tell John to get the substring of the hash and checking only its 5
chars?

.Thanks.