Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:57:09 +0100
From: Michal Luczaj <regenrecht@...pl>
To:  john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  GPU acceleration?

Radim Horak wrote:
> maybe this is totally crazy idea, but I'm quite sober, so let me start with this
> citation that summarizes my inspiration:
> "The SM3.0 GPUs have become general and powerful enough to perform a broader
> range of computations – beyond the role of pure graphical shading for which they
> were initially used."

Believe me or not, but I was thinking about something similar recently
:) As my graphic card is older than old (GeForce 2 GTS) after first
glance into documentation (NVIDIA, OpenGL, DirectX) I though that there
is no chance for any GPU abuse in my case. But it turned out that even
so old vertex/pixel-shaderless cards have support for feature called
"register combiners".

Well, I don't even know for now if register combiners can be really used
for any crypto/hash calculations, but I though that it is interesting
enough to tell you about it :)

Here's some details:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/registercombiners.html

Bye,