Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:12:43 +0100
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Re: roadmap

Solar Designer wrote:
> Also, I've been considering adding a "dumb" mode which would search a
> keyspace sequentially (this is what some other password cracker programs
> call "brute force").  The rationale would be to get slightly higher c/s
> rates for really fast hashes (such as LM hashes) in those rare cases
> when a keyspace is actually meant to be searched exhaustively and it is
> somehow not desirable to get some passwords cracked early on.  It would
> also permit for fair c/s rate comparisons against "competing" crackers.
> And it would satisfy the demand for trying passwords consisting of
> particular character sets that do not match the provided .chr files,
> without having to generate custom .chr files out of fake john.pot's
> (even though most of the time such requests are misguided).

I do not believe this would be useful except from a "marketing" point of
view. John's incremental mode will almost always get you passwords earlier.

"Dumb" mode should only be used when you know you're gonna search a full
keyspace (or you'll never have passwords beginning by "z"). It will most
of the time be a bad idea to try all 8 characters chars on a single host
(years of calculations depending on the number of salts), and you'll
want to distribute the work.

It might be nice if it is possible to prepend a user defined string,
making it possible to manually distribute the load. (and it is sometimes
possible to infer the first bytes of a password from other sources,
having this option would be better than the current "perl script | john
-stdin" I use)