Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:37:25 -0800
From: Arias Hung <arias@...-g.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Incremental Alpha Quagmire

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Solar Designer delivered in simple text monotype:

>Yes, you may generate a new .chr file with lowercase and uppercase
>letters.  You'd need to define the appropriate external filter() (to use
>when generating the .chr file) and you need to have all those characters
>already in your john.pot (or you can use "Extra = ...").  Once again,
>the resulting .chr file will likely yield a lower success rate (at
>cracking passwords which you did _not_ already have cracked by the time
>you generate the .chr file) than the provided all.chr does.

I'm sorry if I find this a bit confusing as to your reference here of 'likely
yield a lower success rate at cracking passwords WHICH YOU DID _NOT_ ALREADY
HAVE CRACKD by the time your generate the .chr file.

In my case I would be choosing to to generate a .chr file with a fake .pot
based on my prior knowledge of certain characteristics of the passwords ( such as
upper and lower alpha sans additional chraacters or numbers ) the purpose
being in order to yeild a higher success rate by eliminating what i know
not to be characteristic of the passwords.  I'm confused as to what you're
referring to in the passwords 'which you did not already have cracked by the time
of chr file generation' ?!