Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:58:40 -0800
From: Arias Hung <arias@...-g.net>
To: John Users <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Incremental Alpha Quagmire

Another characterstic of JTR that I'm trying to wrap my mind around that doesn't seem to me to be quite optimal
... perhaps someone can point to the proper way to optimization in this case.

When configuring the conf file, the incremental for alpha is defined as: (in my case I know the pw length that i'm attempting to decrypt)

[Incremental:Alpha]
File = $JOHN/alpha.chr
MinLen = 8
MaxLen = 8
CharCount = 26

What is baffling to me is the charcount, since it's listed as only 26 yet alpha passwords seem always to be a mixture of upper and lowercase.

Should not the character count be 52?!?!

Also, it seems to take an exorbitant amount of time before john begins attempting mixed (upper + lower) Alpha combinations.

What would be the ideal way to get the upper/lower combinations to begin immediately?  Wouldn't it be ideal to increase character count to 52 and consider upper and lower to be separate character types as they certainly are treated as distinguished from one another as all passwords are case sensitive?