Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 17:10:51 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Re: JtR 1.7 release candidate

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 07:20:12PM +0000, Radim Horak wrote:
> 1] note that on windows it is very uncommon to use "/" as a directory delimiter

Yes.  Where did you encounter this?  Did this result in any problems or
cause you to do something differently?

I am aware that the *.zip archives use "/" in the stored pathnames
(that's because I produce them on a Linux system), but it was the same
with John 1.6 and noone has ever complained about it.  If this is in
fact a problem, I'll consider producing the DOS and Win32 archives on
another system or maybe patch my "zip" to use backslashes.

> *2] I'v encountered minor glitch, cause I've tested it with custom ini (with
> different mode names). So it can only happen to exotic entities as I am.
> It stopped with message:
> "No charset defined for mode: All"
> which is fine, but when I replaced the ini with the official 1.7 ini:
> it gave me:
> "Incorrect crash recovery file format: john.rec"

This is interesting.  However, I cannot reproduce this (that is, obtain
an invalid john.rec file in this way).  The only problem I am able to
reproduce is the john.rec file not getting updated when John terminates
on this error (so there can be up to 10 minutes of wordlist-based
cracking lost).  If you still have a copy of that invalid john.rec, or
if you can reproduce this again, I'd appreciate your e-mailing the
john.rec to me.

> 3] Also the cygwin.dll could be a minor glitch if the user is already running
> some older cygwin program with older cygwin.dll. (eg. OpenSSH).

Good point.  However, that would only affect Cygwin-compiled programs
(such as the OpenSSH client, not server) you would possibly run while
in the "run" directory, correct?

Anyway, this was the same with John 1.6 and noone has ever reported it
as a problem to me.  Also, I do not see a good way to resolve it other
than by making John compile on Windows more natively.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598