Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:13:36 -0500
From: John Smith <vun.list@...il.com>
To:  john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: question-newbi

Salt is a "random" string that is concatenated with passwords before
being operated on by the hash function.

As I recall windows doesn't use salts.

Pressing enter will show you the current status of john, when it has a
guess it will come out with the guess in parenthese and the username
next to it something like:

Loaded 2 passwords with no different salts (NT LM DES [24/32 4KI])
(cantguessthis) 	administrator

etc.