Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:44:59 -0400
From: "Douglas F. Calvert" <douglasfcalvert@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Suggestions for XEON performance?

Hello,
 I am a little surprised with the performance of john on the XEON
(proc/cpuinfo is attached at the bottom) and linux. I guess I expected
the performance to be much better on the XEON than it is. Maybe I am
doing something wrong with my compilation. Does anyone have any
reccomendations for which target to build? I have been using
linux-x86-mmx-elf. The gentoo safe cflags wiki lists a few
optimizations for the gcc on the XEON but they made it a little
slower:

CFLAGS="-march=nocona -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse2 -mfpmath=sse -pipe"

Were my expectations too high for the XEON? Also should I use gcc 3.4
or 4.0? john is works wonderfully and is definitely fast enough I was
just under the impression that I was going to see a bigger speed
boost...

Thanks a lot...

###cpuinfo###

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2793.336
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 3
siblings        : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
lm pni monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips        : 5586.94

--
--dfc