Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 05:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: ByteRage <byterage@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: interfacing JtR modules

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how the modules in John The
Ripper work.

I've removed the unnecessary code from the John The
Ripper most recent 1.6.38 version and I've written
some test programs (test.c & test2.c) which I've
uploaded @

http://byterage.hackaholic.org/source/john-test.tar.gz

Currently I've figured out how to use at least the DES
crypt() routines (standard / bitslice DES / MMX) (see
test.c & test2.c). But the LM, MD5, BF, AFS, BSDI
modules I can't get to work (see test2.c, the
cmp_exact() should return 1 for LM, MD5, BF imho)

Maybe someone can see what I'm doing wrong. I've
checked out the other parts of the John The Ripper
source code (bench.c, cracker.c etc...) that implement
these modules but I can't figure out what's going
wrong (like why LM is working and MD5 isn't).

cheers,

[ByteRage]