Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 04:40:38 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Definitely getting false positives

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 10:47:56AM -0600, Stephen Cartwright wrote:
> I am definitely getting some false positives. There are some passwords that
> do not work.
> The password file is up to date and the accounts are enabled.

We had proceeded to discuss this with Stephen via private e-mail and
I've found the bug.  Yes, there was a bug in the loader introduced with
1.6.37.10 where "john --show" would report split hashes with the last
piece not yet cracked as if they were fully cracked.

The fix is available here:

http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/john/john/src/loader.c.diff?r1=1.4;r2=1.5

This affects bigcrypt/crypt16 and LM hashes.

I would like to once again thank Stephen for reporting the problem and
providing the necessary information to reproduce it and fix the bug.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar