Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 23:15:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: cracking sniffed hashes

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 02:48:41AM -0000, sky lab din wrote:
> Dear friend
>         can you please explain step by step method how to crack the hashes we catch by using the ettercap tool in the network(encrypted).How to add dictionary to that.

[ I've changed the message subject and omitted the irrelevant quote from
a previously discussed topic.  Please learn some netiquette. ]

This mailing list exists primarily for sharing experience with using
John the Ripper, and for asking and answering reasonable (preferably
advanced) questions.  Unfortunately, your question, as formulated above,
cannot be answered without further clarifications (what hash type?)

The generic answer, though, is that John the Ripper with no unofficial
patches does not support any on-the-wire-only hash types (e.g., those
used in various challenge-response protocols).  If you happen to capture
"regular" password hashes, such as those normally stored on a server,
those might be supported.  Otherwise, you need patches, which might not
be readily available for a particular hash type.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar