Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:21:19 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR with bigcrypt/crypt16

Stephen,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 11:42:56AM -0600, Stephen Cartwright wrote:
> I tried to use JTR on a password file that uses bigcrypt to hash the
> passwords. However the program does not seem to work with this type of
> hash. Is there anyway to get JTR to work with bigcrypt?

For the JtR-supported flavor of bigcrypt/crypt16, it should just work,
splitting the hashes into their halves on load.  There's another (even
weaker) flavor that JtR does not support (no demand).

What OS did the password file come from?  To my knowledge, bigcrypt-alikes
are used on at least some versions of HP-UX, SCO, OSF/1 (DU, Tru64),
Ultrix.

What version of JtR?

Can you please post one line from your password file that JtR doesn't
load?  (Obviously, change that password immediately.)

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar