Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 05:52:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lyn Scott <lindey_scott@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: understanding the encryption method

Hi all,

I have an OpenUnix 8.0.0 box and i am trying to check
the /etc/shadow. I have an user (e.g something like
this user_1:ThnJx./KPgulI) so am i rigth if i suppose
that crypt/DES is used ('cause the string is 13 char
long/with Th is my Salt). When i check the john.pot it
gives me a result for my usrer_1 (e.g my_passw). But
my real password for user_1 is not my_passw but
my_passwd. So how can you use john for password longer
as 8 char (using crypt/DES).
I have another question... I have another Linux box
(Suse9.2) The /etc/shadow is encrypted using BlowFish.
How can I recognize if the Password is encrypted using
BlowFish or DES.

thx in advance