Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:14:39 -0400
From: "James" <james@...nderdomesystems.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Fastest Crack of known password length

Kind of hard to reset Root ;) As far as big wordlist I've tried that one and
let it run forever it seems (over a week) and since I am pretty sure the
password is not word based it was unable to crack it. This is why I was
thinking of an incremental against a known length of 8.

One PC was set to incremental the other wasn't. Wasn't sure which would get
there first. As far as running it against a single user hash all the users
(well all but a few) have the same hash including root. I figured by setting
it to work just that one hash again it would run a bit faster.

This is somewhat a test to compare various attacks against passwords.
Knowing a Windows sam file takes just minutes to crack 90% of the time
because of weak passwords I wanted to see what John could do against a
harder Linux password file so I got one where I don't know the password so I
can't cheat by being creative in a wordlist.