Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:51:36 -0400
From: "James" <james@...nderdomesystems.com>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Fastest Crack of known password length

What is the fastest method of cracking a password of known length where the
password is:

1. Linux Shadow file
2. DES
3. Mostly likely is not word based and includes at least 1 standard keyboard
character.
4. Of a known length or at least do a progressice crack where I try 8, that
fails then I'll try 9, etc.

I'm running

john -users:***** -format:DES pwl

Right now on one PC and

john -users:***** -format:DES -i:ALL pwl

On another. I've edited the ini to sent all min. lengths to 8 but does that
do what I think?

James B