Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 02:20:35 +0200
From: Simon Marechal <simon@...quise.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: LANMAN and NT Hash ?s...basic

Whom Ever wrote:
> JtR can crack NT hashes, right?

Vanilla john can't, you have to add the nt hash support that is in the
contribs.

> Also, if JtR does do NT hash, wouldn't a module to get
> the LANMAN and then try
> the 2^n letter case combinations to run against the NT
> hash be fairly easy to
> add.  I'm probably way off base here or this already exists!

You can use the discovered passwords to use with john in wordlist mode
with rules to do that.

If you have some spare disk space you can download ophcrack, which
performs a time/memory tradeof, features a nice gui, and ships with
pre-calculated tables, or use rainbowcrack which is more widely used but
less effective.