Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 21:40:24 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Implementing compatibility with the 3PC protocol

Hi Håvard,
   I'm still trying to get my head around your paper, so I apologize if you
addressed these questions, but there are two things that I'm really
struggling with:

1) You mentioned bcrypt as a possible worthwhile target hashing algorithm a
couple of times but all of the examples are with unsalted hashes. How does
your vector approach work with salted hashes? Would all the vector
sub-hashes use the same salt?

2) You also mentioned that your algorithm can provide perfect k-anonymity.
I hate to be really nitpicky but based on my understanding of k-anonymity
the way you implement your vectors doesn't provide that property
-- A quick "is this using k-anonymity" test I use is to see if the degree
is specified. Aka this dataset has 5-anonymity where every record occurs at
least five times. I don't see that occurring with your  approach where
every hash is different.
-- The good news is it appears the property you are referencing is closer
to "differential privacy" which is a much stronger security guarantee if
you can prove it. With differential privacy you are basically saying that
if you add another real user's password to the dataset that the resulting
dataset you submit to the server would be indistinguishable from the case
where you didn't add it.
-- Full disclaimer, I'm not confident you actually achieve differential
privacy (modeling human generated password habits is surprisingly
difficult). But that's the proof I'd recommend trying to prove, and that
I'd really be interested in seeing.
-- Total side note: Have I Been Pwned does not do k-anonymity either.
They are the other big name in this space that I know throws around that
term a lot. I talked with one of the architects of it and they said they
realized they are not really using k-anonymity, but they just liked how
that term sounded.

Once again though, this is an interesting paper! There was obviously a ton
of work your team put into this, and I appreciate you continuing to try and
develop proof of concepts and share it with the wider password security
community. Thanks again for sharing it!

Cheers,
Matt

Content of type "text/html" skipped