Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:02:34 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Implementing compatibility with the 3PC protocol

On September 5th 2023 at 21:22 Solar Designer wrote:

> You can manage to efficiently integrate this into individual formats for
> a proof-of-concept or a specialized use case, but not easily integrate
> it into JtR as a whole.

In general I agree with the above, but if the PoC is all you need and it
should be fairly easy to figure out what to do, I would
treat formats as a blackbox backend and create a new frontend with
communication, candidate preparation and multithreading support.
If you look how formats integrate with John you can use similar approach
and connect calculating f(password, salt) to anything you want.
GPU stuff would need more plumbing, but is doable. Such PoC frankenstein
would be a separate binary living in John's source tree.

Thanks,
Lukas

Content of type "text/html" skipped