Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:15:03 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: altr@...2.de
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux x86_64

In addition to my previous response:

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 01:19:17PM +0200, altr@...2.de wrote:
> /nfs__share/ae/cc/189/JohnTheRipper/src>CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $cflags
> -I$asx_prefix/include" LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS $ldflags -L$asx_prefix/lib"
> OPENSSL_LIBS="$asx_pref
> ix/lib/libssl.a $asx_prefix/lib/libcrypto.a"
> OPENSSL_CFLAGS="-I$asx_prefix/include -L$asx_prefix/lib" ./configure
> --prefix="$asx_prefix"
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

So this looks like a custom or at least unusual Linux distro (or at
least build of gcc), and you use custom build options.

> configure: Testing build host's native CPU features
> checking for Hyperthreading... yes
> checking for MMX... yes
> checking for SSE2... yes
> checking for SSSE3... no

It is rather unusual to have a CPU supporting SSE2 yet not SSSE3 these
days.  I'd guess this non-detection of SSSE3 is a side-effect of the
overridden CFLAGS, but I can't reproduce it.  So are you actually on a
currently rare early x86-64 CPU from prior to 2006 or so?  What is it?

> configure: WARNING: No recognized optimization option present in CFLAGS

So you'd have a highly unoptimal build, even if the build worked,
because of you having overridden the CFLAGS.

None of this is directly related to the build failure, but it indicates
that your build is highly unusual in general.

As to the build failure, what's your version of "make" - e.g., what does
"make -v" say?

magnum, when we build without OpenCL support, can we possibly have it
skip copying of the OpenCL kernels?  (The copying should have succeeded
anyway, but let's use this as a reminder of this possible improvement.)

Alexander