Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 17:35:36 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: sunmd5

>From: magnum [mailto:john.magnum@...hmail.com]
>
>> Outs[1024]
>>
>> In[PARA*COEF]
>> InBig[25][PARA*COEF].
>
>Could you not just use one In[25][PARA*COEF] and always use that?

Nope, limb[0] of the InBig, has the first 16 bytes used by the prior crypt, and then 48 bytes of the 'fixed' message.  You do not want to have to rekey that every time.  Right now, that is 100% loaded in init().

>I.e.
>for 1-limb runs you just use In[0]. Maybe that would not help much
>though. And on another thought I guess that would mean we blow the first
>part of the long constant. On the other hand we only need to repair it
>once per crypt_all().

Nope, 5000 times per crypt_all (once each round per round).

> Oh well, I guess I should look at the code, or at
>least the format, before coming up with confusing ideas :-P

It is an interesting format, that made me think outside of the 'normal' JtR box we code in.