Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 16:20:50 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: copyright and license statements

On 01/05/2012 12:39 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> I noticed that you started using "No Rights Reserved" lately.  I think
> it'd be better for us to have fewer different wordings of this in the
> JtR source code.  Specifically, I'd appreciate it if you switch to the
> wording recommended here:

I use the recommended wording in files like mskrb5_fmt. In files that
someone else wrote and I just added stuff (these are the vast majority
of my patches), I can't claim "the" copyright, can I? Or maybe I can
claim a copyright for the few lines of mine, but then I'm not sure how
to word it. Maybe I should just say "This and that added by magnum 2012"
and nothing more?

There's also files like para-best.sh which is a new file but is a 95%
copy of best.sh which is your file. Not sure how to word a statement
there. I do like to keep it short but it's more of not knowing what to
write in these cases.

magnum