Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 01:13:23 +0100
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john scalability

On 2011-03-26 20:59, magnum wrote:
> Do the self tests check all five (ten) functions? I'll experiment a little.

Sure enough they do.

I see now the hash table size are chosen per salt, which is obvious when
you think about it. So with a skewed salt distribution you may have some
binaries not in a hash table, and some in each of every supported size
tables.

But the added sizes will mostly be needed for the unsalted formats, ie
nsldap, mysql-sha1, mysql-fast. And these are not super-fast anyway.

How about formats like DMD5 or MYSQL, which are unsalted but only define
fmt_default stubs of the functions. This means hash tables are not used
at all, right? DMD5 is very slow though. I'm not sure MYSQL is fast
enough to benefit very much either.

Maybe this was all moot but I learned a lot. The format the needs this
most (apart from NT) is probably raw-sha1, and this is taken care of by
intrinsics-2.

magnum