Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:14:24 +0100
From: Jean-Philippe Aumasson <jeanphilippe.aumasson@...il.com>
To: crypt-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: password hashing competition?

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM, Steven Alexander <pdp11hacker@...il.com> wrote:
> I think a competition to select a password hashing standard is a great idea.
> My question is, can we motivate NIST or some other reputable body to
> sponsor/support it?

Probably not NIST, neither any governmental or big transnational
organization, at least in the short/medium term.

Could be sponsored by one or more companies, but I'd like to keep it
"neutral". The goal would be to have a de facto standard, rather than
an "official standard" (think ISO etc.) that may or may not be used.

A small core team of dedicated and/or experienced people could be
enough, the community would do the rest (designs, analyses).

I can probably convince some academic folks to join in; next week I
participate to a seminar with the main people in symmetric crypto, a
number of them may be interested
(https://www.cryptolux.org/esc2013/ESC_2013).