Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 14:23:32 +0300
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: [openwall-announce] Google Summer of Code 2015 (GSoC)

As many of you are aware, Openwall participated in Google Summer of Code
(GSoC) in 2011, 2012, and 2013, and we skipped 2014 for our internal
reasons as well as to make room for new GSoC orgs.  Now we're back in
GSoC for 2015:

Here are our proposed ideas for students' summer projects:

Much like in 2013, this year we're offering only a subset of our ideas
to new contributors, and we're looking for some extraordinary people.
That said, like in prior years, students are welcome to propose creative
and relevant ideas of their own, and "veteran" contributors to our
projects are encouraged to propose further work on projects that we're
not offering to "newbies" this summer.  For example, we do not currently
have any Owl ideas listed, but we would consider accepting "veteran"
contributors for Owl-related tasks.

Since the ideas that we do have listed currently are for John the Ripper
and password hashing in general, I am cross-posting this announcement to
the john-dev list.  Let's discuss them on john-dev.

For those not familiar with Google Summer of Code:

Nmap project ( summarizes GSoC as follows:
"This innovative and extraordinarily generous program provides $5,500
stipends to 1,000+ college and graduate students each year to create and
enhance open source software during their summer break.  Students gain
valuable experience, get paid, strengthen their resume, and write code
which will be distributed freely and used by millions of people!"

If you're thinking about applying as a student, please contact us now
(a few students already did earlier today!)

The student application period will officially open on March 16 at
19:00 UTC, and will close on March 27, also at 19:00 UTC.

Of course, we welcome contributors outside of the GSoC program as well.

Please do contact us if you're interested.